This is about the places and things I have done in my Summer Semester at Kassel University in Kassel, Germany. Kassel is a relatively small town of 200k people located west of Berlin but is pretty much in the center of Germany.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

London June 30 - July 2

Once again, haha, I planned to go to Paris this weekend but again it was packed and my American friend from Kassel was going to London to spend time with his family so I decided to check out the Brits. We left Thursday night and drove all night to London, we ended up taking a barge across the channel rather then the Chunnel. We arrived early in the morning and started from there. Here is a picture of Piccadilly Circus center. This was very simular to Town Square in New York, but to me, it wasn't as big as Town Square, but the advertisements on the screens behind me were the most expensive advertisements in the world. I was told that a 3 foot by 3 foot square was about 100k pounds which is about 200k US Dollars.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

From there I did a ton of walking to see the major sights and stuff like that in London, and believe me there was a ton of things to see here. Well I definately had to check out the all famous "London Bridge" well to my surprise it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. All the pictures on the post cards were, to me, the London Bridge, but to my surprise it was the Tower Bridge, the bridge that was right beside the London Bridge, haha. Well it is true the London Bridge did fall down about 10 times or so, kinda scary if you ask me. If you look closely, on the first pillar London Bridge is written on it, so I guess it has to be true, haha. Well the first pic is of the all famous London Bridge and the next picture is of the very beautiful Tower Bridge.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This monument was to remember the London fires that burnt down a good bit of London city. The fire originally started in a bakery and the Fire Marshal said that it wasn't that big of a deal and didn't call for more people to help to put it out....well....4 days later London was under blazes and they have a newly appointed Fire Marshal, haha!! Funny thing, is that the memorial is 61.5 meters tall and if it fell exactly to the left of the picture, it would fall right on the original bakery where the fire started, ironic huh?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a picture of the building of the Royal Courts of Justice. I noticed that anything that had royal in it or dealt with the queen was extravogant. We drove by the place where the royal hourses were housed, well they lived in an apartment style housing with their own balcony, funny the royal horses lived better then some Londoners.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This must have been really frustrating =), haha this was in the middle of a traffic circle. It was an artist's creation and to me its just really confusing, haha!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On my second day in London, we headed to Greenwich. This was really cool, we walked across the Greenwich Foot Tunnel which went under the Thames river. This was really cool because here is a picture of the Prime Meridian of the World and me standing right in the middle!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

While there, I also decided to check out the all famous Shakespeare's Globe. This was beautiful and really amazing, I got to see the Titus Andronicus play, and if you don't know the story, it is very very good and pretty twisted also, haha! The next picture is of course Buckingham Palace, because any trip to London would not be complete to see where the Queen lived. You can tell that the Queen was in because of the flag at top, if it is flying it means that the Queen is at home. Everywhere around this palace was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the changing of the guards, but its no biggie, I still experienced a lot around the palace. The last picture is of the House of Parliament and Big Ben at night, very extravigant!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home